OPENING DATE/TIME: 08/03/17 12:00 AM
CLOSING DATE/TIME: 08/24/17 11:59 PM
SALARY: $4,404.00 – $6,503.00 Monthly
JOB TYPE: Limited Duration
LOCATION: Salem, Oregon
Announcement: ODOT17-1566oc Associate in Landscape Architecture Environmental Program Coordinator 2 Highway Division – Region 2 Tech Center Salem
We are recruiting for a limited duration associate in landscape architecture to join our Region 2 Geo/Hydro/HazMat Unit in Salem. The primary purpose of this position is to perform landscape architecture design for routine to moderately complex roadside development and erosion control projects under the professional supervision and response charge of a registered landscape architect. The associate in landscape architecture works on a wide variety of transportation projects in support of project development, construction, and maintenance operations.
We invite members of all diverse communities to join our workforce as we endeavor to best serve Oregonians from every background. ODOT values diversity and inclusion because they are good for Oregon. We believe that by welcoming differences, encouraging new ideas and views, listening to and learning from each other, and providing opportunities for professional enrichment we are better able to serve those around us. We thank you for considering this employment opportunity.
Additional Details: Limited Duration: This is a limited duration appointment that is expected to end on or before June 30, 2019, though the duration can change at any time or could possibly become a permanent position due to business needs. Limited duration appointments are benefits eligible and have a designated maximum length of service. Representation: This position is represented by the Association of Engineering Employees of Oregon (AEE).
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide design solutions for landscape preservation and enhancement, including roadside development and erosion control for routine to moderately complex transportation projects under the professional supervision of a registered landscape architect.
- Assist other designers, environmental staff, project managers, and other internal and external staff.
- Provide expertise in natural resource restoration plan development such as wetland mitigation sites using context sensitive design and knowledge of visual resources.
- Develop recommended native or non-native plant species lists and planting plans, specifications, and estimates for biological restoration.
- Propose solutions, analyze and evaluate technical problems that arise during design or construction.
- Recommend methods, materials, techniques, and processes to resolve problems. • Participate on multidisciplinary teams in developing projects.
- Design work includes final contract plans, details, specifications, and cost estimates for staff registered landscape architect review and sealing.
- Develop erosion control plans, specifications, and estimates for new earthwork projects and review plans submitted by contractors and consultants.
- Assist the supervisor in planning and developing project goals and objectives, budgets, coordinating schedules, and defining the scope of each project.
- Accompany agency supervisors, engineers, designers, and environmental staff on field trips to identify and evaluate landscape preservation and development concerns and recommend solutions.
- Review erosion control plans provided by contractors and evaluate and/or propose changes to designs.
QUALIFICATIONS, REQUIRED & REQUESTED SKILLS:
Two years of environmental analysis or resource project management experience and a bachelor’s degree with 30 quarter or 20 semester hours in an environmental science, a physical science, a natural science, engineering, or a closely-related field. Three additional years of environmental analysis or resource project management experience may substitute for the bachelor’s degree.
Driving is an essential function of this position. A valid driver license and an acceptable driving record are required for this position. We will conduct pre-employment driving records checks on our final candidate(s).
We may show preference to candidates whose application materials demonstrate the following:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in landscape architecture.
- Currently registered as an Oregon Landscape Architect in Training or as a registered Oregon Landscape Architect.
- Two years of experience in roadside development or erosion control on transportation projects or equivalent.
- Knowledgeable of landscape preservation and development including context sensitive design and visual resources, native and non-native species, and erosion control.
- Experience working on project teams with other design professionals.
- Experience developing landscaping plans and specifications under the supervision of a registered landscape architect, including work involving highways and/or roadways.
- Typical office environment with frequent trips for meetings and field work.
- Occasional overtime, night and weekend work, including some overnight travel required.
- Field work may include rough terrain, inclement weather, falling rocks, landslides, steep slopes, heights, fast or deep water, hazardous plants and animals, construction sites, work around heavy construction equipment, and/or work in roadways with heavy traffic volumes.
- Infrequent exposure to emergency situations, media, or hazardous materials.
We appreciate your interest in this position. To apply, please visit www.odotjobs.com and search for job posting ODOT17-1566oc and follow these steps.
- Complete the application. We will not accept a resume or position description in place of a completed application. There is no need to attach a resume to your application. Because of the volume of applications we receive, we do not review any attachments that we do not ask for.
- The work experience and/or education section of your application must clearly demonstrate how you meet all of the minimum and special qualifications listed above. If it does not, we are required to disqualify it.
- Complete the supplemental questions.Caution: If you fail to follow these instructions, we will have to disqualify your application. We cannot consider incomplete or late applications.
We will conduct criminal background checks on final candidates who are not current ODOT employees. All applicants are subject to additional pre-employment check(s) such as driver license, LEDS, and/or education verification as required for the position.
Eligible veterans who meet the qualifications will be given veterans’ preference. To receive preference, veterans must attach appropriate documentation as outlined by the Department of Administrative Services at the following website: Veterans Resources. Please title your DD214 like this, “[Your Last Name] DD214” and your disability letter “[Your Last Name] Disability Letter.” Veterans may also call the Oregon Department of Veterans’ Affairs at 1-800-692-9666. Note: DD214 member 1 copies do not contain character of service and cannot be used to verify veterans’ preference eligibility. Please attach DD214 member 2 or 4.
Questions and Application Support:
- For questions about the job announcement, call 503-986-7146.
- For technical help with your login or online application issues, call 1-855-524-5627 from 6:30a to 5:30p PT M-F. Leave a voicemail. It may take up to 24 hours to receive a response. If you do not receive a response after 24 hours, you can email Technical Support at email@example.com.
Informational Links: Oregon Landscape Architect Board.
We encourage you to print or save a PDF copy of your application.
Human Resources/Recruitment, MS12355 Capitol St NE Salem, OR 97301-3871Fax 503-986-3895ODOT is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. This information can be made available in an alternative format by contacting ODOT Recruitment at 503-986-3700 or through Oregon Relay Service at 7-1-1. ODOT does not discriminate on the basis of disability in admission or access to our programs, services, activities, hiring, and employment practices. Questions: 1-877-336-6368 (EEO-ODOT) or through Oregon Relay Service at 7-1-1. ODOT is committed to complying with the Americans with Disabilities Act. It is our policy not to discriminate against any qualified employment applicant because of a disability. Applicants with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation during the application process by contacting the Employee Civil Rights & Diversity Manager at 1-877-336-6368 (EEO-ODOT)ODOT does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or any other class protected by State or Federal laws. For questions, concerns, or complaints regarding Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action, contact the Employee Civil Rights & Diversity Manager at 1-877-336-6368 (1-877-EEO-ODOT). #LI-DNP