About the Company:
Environmental Science Associates (ESA) is an environmental science, planning, and design consulting firm committed to the principles of sound science, technical excellence, integrity, and the promotion of outstanding decision making and sustainability. As a 100-percent employee-owned company with offices located in California, Washington, Oregon and Florida, continuing to meet the needs of our clients as well as the strategic aspirations of our employee-owners requires that we look to add the very best professional talent throughout our practices and offices. Specializing in project planning, environmental analysis and assessment, natural and cultural resources management, environmental restoration and design, and regulatory compliance, ESA’s scientists, historians, planners, designers, and technical specialists provide critical thinking and in-depth analysis to guide successful policy development, project planning, and the creation of enduring multi-objective solutions. Joining ESA means becoming part of a family of environmental professionals for whom every day involves growing your career, learning, creativity, fun, and the satisfaction knowing that you’ve contributed to outstanding iconic projects, improved environmental stewardship, and a more sustainable future for our communities and wild places.
About the Position:
Environmental Science Associates (ESA) is seeking a Landscape Designer or recently licensed Landscape Architect with four to eight years of professional experience. Our Landscape Architecture practice encompasses a wide range of park- and trail-related services. The position is located in our Portland office and presents opportunities to work on projects in Oregon, Washington, California, and Alaska.
Our park and trail projects include system plans, master plans, public involvement, design and detailing, construction documents, and construction administration. In addition, we collaborate with ESA biologists, civil and water resources engineers, and permitting specialists to develop mitigation and stormwater management solutions as well as wetland, stream, and tidal restoration projects.
ESA is known for thoughtfully balancing public access and natural resource protection. Our Landscape Architects routinely manage interdisciplinary teams that expand our in-house expertise with survey, engineering (geotechnical, structural, electrical, traffic) to resolve complex and often conflicting objectives. This position provides an excellent opportunity to expand your knowledge base and skills.
We are looking for a well-rounded and self-directed person who is articulate, organized and comfortable leading a number of tasks and less complex projects concurrently. A desire to work in multi-disciplinary teams is essential. Our projects are often sited in environmentally sensitive settings so an interest in and familiarity with native ecosystems, plants, and environmental regulations is beneficial.
At this level you will be responsible for maintaining marketing contacts and assisting with task orders and proposals by contributing to the development of scopes, fee estimates, and other narrative components. You will also review project accounting and prepare invoices. Experience with construction phase services is desired.
Qualified candidates will have:
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in landscape architecture from an accredited university;
- At least four years work experience designing parks, trails, and other types of public infrastructure, preferably in the environmental consulting field;
- A working knowledge of civil engineering, environmental science, and permitting principles, practices, and procedures as they relate to development, improvement, and maintenance of park, trail, and other landscape architecture projects;
- Ability to manage a variety of tasks on multiple projects in a fast paced collaborative environment;
- Ability to develop and track project scopes, schedules and budgets;
- Production of bid-ready construction packages (plans, specifications, estimates);
- Ability to lead grading, layout, and detailing tasks with minimal oversite;
- Proficiency in AutoCAD, SketchUp, Adobe Creative Suite and Windows-based programs;
- Ability to generate graphics by hand and sketch;
- Strong graphics, communication and presentation skills;
- Competence in using northwest native and adapted plant materials and low maintenance methods;
- Basic familiarity with federal, state, and local environmental regulations and permit requirements;
- Ability to conduct field inspections in a variety of settings, situations, and locations;
- Knowledge of planting and irrigation design; and
- Ability and willingness to travel.
Additional beneficial qualifications:
- A current license to practice landscape architecture in the State of Oregon; registrations in Washington, Alaska, and California are welcomed;
- Strong capabilities in integrating ecosystem processes into site design to achieve aesthetic, land use, recreation, and habitat function goals;
- Proficiency in ArcGIS and Civil 3D
- Knowledge of Revit, Rhino, Grasshopper and 3D Studio Max;
- Experience working with disadvantaged communities; and
- Experience using Deltek Vision.
ESA is owned entirely by our employees, creating a unique ownership culture rooted in a commitment to do work that matters, technical excellence, outstanding client service, professional development, and life-long learning. ESA’s comprehensive compensation and benefits program reflects our commitment to our employees. Our benefits include: 401(k) Salary Deferral Plan with company match program, Employee Stock Ownership Plan, medical and dental insurance vision care, paid vacation, sick leave, 9 paid holidays, group term life insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance, commuter/transit incentives, healthcare and daycare Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA), tuition reimbursement assistance, performance bonus plan, and employee referral bonus program.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in applying to become an employee-owner at ESA, please visit the ESA Careers page at www.esassoc.com or follow the link below:
ESA is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. (EOE M/V/F/D)