CITY OF VANCOUVER invites applications for the position of:
An Equal Opportunity Employer
SALARY: Monthly $5,193.00 – $6,750.00 Annually $62,316.00 – $81,000.00
OPENING DATE: 07/18/17
CLOSING DATE: 08/06/17 11:59 PM
The purpose of this position is to perform professional level landscape architecture and park planning work relating to parks, open space and related facilities. Provide project design and planning, manage consultants, perform design review, prepare permitting documents and perform construction inspection on park and recreation capital and improvement projects. Provide information and assistance to the public on park and recreation related matters.
Position Status: This is a full-time, regular, exempt position. This position is also 3-year limited term from date of hire.
Work Schedule: The schedule for this position is M-F, 8 am to 5 pm.
Union Status: This position is non-union.
- Complete the entire job applications and answer supplemental questions.
- Attach required documents, if applicable.
- Submit your application before the due date and time.
- Receive confirmation email. If you do not receive a confirmation email following submission, check your junk/spam mail. Contact HR Assistant, Brét Kertz, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (360) 487-8412 immediately.
- The candidate list may be used to fill future vacancies.
Your application may be rejected as incomplete if you do not include the relevant information in the online application and include the information only on the resume. Applications and/or Supplemental Questions that state “see my resume” or “see my personnel file” are considered incomplete and will not be accepted. Cover letters and/or optional resumes are not accepted in lieu of a completed application.
- Develop conceptual and comprehensive site and master plans. Create technical drawings, plans, and specifications. Prepare detailed graphics and written documents for grants and other funding sources. Deliver presentations to a wide variety of stakeholders, including the City Council, management, neighborhoods, and community groups. Inspect construction to ensure compliance to plans, specifications, and applicable guidelines and standards. Approve payment for services.
- Coordinate and oversee multiple projects being designed by consultants. Develop contract specifications and participate in the bid selection process. Prioritize projects and maintain accurate progress records as appropriate.
- Confer with and advise State and local agencies and organization as well as the general public regarding City park and recreation matters.
- Develop cost estimates and prepare and monitor project budgets. Identify departmental budget needs and make recommendations for budget requests.
- Prepare reports and graphics and acquire permits for projects which require local, state, and federal agency review.
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Three (3) years of related experience relating to planning, design and development of park, trails and/or open spaces.
- Equivalent to a Bachelor’s Degree in landscape architecture from an accredited college or university with major course work in landscape architecture, planning or a related field. Equivalent combinations of education and experience may be considered.
- Basic skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint.
- Intermediate skills in AutoCADD required.
- Proficiency using GIS and/or Adobe Suite experience is highly desirable.
Required Licenses and/or Certifications
- Washington State Landscape Architects License is highly desired.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Principles and practices of park planning and development
- Understand American Disability Act as it relates to outdoor recreation.
- Techniques and procedures of drafting
- Principles or irrigation system design
- Architectural design techniques and methods
- Applicable environmental laws and regulations
- Modern office procedures, methods and computer equipment
- Use of personal computers and basic software
- Prepare park construction, landscape and irrigation plans.
- Manage consultant and contractors.
- Operate a personal computer and appropriate software
- Work in a manner consistent with the City of Vancouver’s Operating Principles
- Work and act as a team player in all interactions with other City employees
- Provide a high level of customer service at all times
- Project and maintain a positive image with those contacted in the course of work
- Develop and maintain collaborative and respectful working relationships with team members and others
- Consistently provide quality service
- Maintain regular and dependable attendance
This position is subject to successful completion of a pre-employment reference check and driving abstract. The ‘Work Experience’ and/or ‘Education’ sections of your application must clearly describe how you meet the qualifications for this position as listed above. A resume or position description will not be accepted in lieu of a completed application. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
For questions about the job announcement, call: 360-487-8417.
For technical help with online application, call 1-877-204-4442.
Application Help: http://www.cityofvancouver.us/hr/page/general-applicant-information.
Announcement information can be made available in an alternative format by calling 711 (Relay Operator for the Deaf).
The City of Vancouver is a TOBACCO FREE/DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
The City of Vancouver is an EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
We strive to create a working environment that includes and values employees from all races, religion, color, sex, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age or any other condition protected by federal, state or local law. In conjunction with the Americans with Disabilities Act, disability will be considered only in context of an applicant’s ability to perform essential functions of the job and to determine reasonable accommodation. The physical demands described in this job announcement are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This announcement is meant only as a general descriptive recruitment guide. It does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract and is not a complete description of the job.